Interesting Food Facts about Caramel Popcorn
- Popcorn is made by boiling the water inside the corn kernel. As the liquid water becomes gaseous, it occupies much more volume and therefore causes incredible pressure in the kernel that causes it to explode into being inside-out.
- Unpopped popcorn kernels are called “old maids.”
- Americans consume 17 billion quarts of popped popcorn annually, or 54 quarts per man, woman and child.
- United States citizens consume more popcorn than any other country’s.
- Being corn, popcorn that is unsalted, unbuttered, and otherwise unaltered is a very healthy snack.
Caramel popcorn or “caramel corn” used to be directly associated with Halloween for trick or treaters.
Popcorn is scientifically known as Zea mays everta.
The Wyandot Popcorn Museum is the largest collection of restored popcorn antiques.
Today’s Food History
- 1859 Massachusetts created the first Inspector of Milk position in the U.S.
- 1869 John Wesley Hyatt…
View original post 194 more words