Here are today’s five thing to know about Cherry:
- Cherries were brought to America by ship with early settlers in the 1600s.
- Cherry pie filling is the number one pie filling sold in the US.
- Darker cherries have higher antioxidant and vitamin levels than lighter ones, but sour cherries, which are generally bright red rather than a darker red-purple in color, have far higher levels than sweet.
- The main kinds of cherries can be found growing on tall trees that range between fifteen and thirty meters tall.
- Asian varieties, such as the Japanese Sakura, (known colloquially as the cherry blossom) are well-regarded for their long, weeping branches filled with small pink flowers.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1795 Josiah Wedgwood died. English inventor, artist and world renowned pottery designer and manufacturer. His daughter, Susannah, was the mother of Charles Darwin.
- 1871 Oleomargarine was patented…
View original post 268 more words