Here are today’s five thing to know about Sloppy Joe:
- Most believe the sloppy joe was first served in Havannah Cuba at the bar and café “Sloppy Joe’s” in the early 1900’s.
- The sloppy joe goes by many names, including manwich, slush burger, yum yums,barbecue, dynamite, and even sloppy jane.
- “Sloppy Joe’s” were mentioned in several movies of the 1930’s, Citizen Kane and even It’s a Wonderful Life. Even though it was not widely popular until the 1960’s.
- In 1969, Hunt’s revolutionized the Sloppy Joe when it introduced its Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce.
- Many say that a cook named Joe in Sioux City, Iowa, in the 1920′ created a sandwich of “loose meat” served in bread, a “sloppy’ Joe.
Sloppy joes are often called by different names in different parts of the United States such as barbecues, dynamites, gulash, sloppy janes, slushburgers, steamers, wimpies and yum yums.
View original post 98 more words