Here are today’s five thing to know about Chips and Dip:
- The potato chip was first invented in 1853.
- Dips for chips first become popular in the 1950s serving as finger food.
- Choices of chips can be tortilla chips, potato chips, or pretzels.
- It takes 10,000 pounds of potatoes to make 3,500 pounds of potato chips.
- Dips can be salsa, guacamole, cheese, hummus, olive dip – anything can be made into a dip.
Hummus, as part of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines for centuries, did not appear in the United States until after World War II.
The first chip-and-dip set was made by glass and this two-bowl set was advertised as useful not only for potato chips, but also for salads, floral centerpieces and seafood snacks..
The Oxford English Dictionary added the term “dip” in print, in 1960.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1699 John Bartram was…
View original post 153 more words