Insert reference to Pawnee, IN here. 🙂
Here are today’s five thing to know about Waffle:
- International Waffle day originated in Sweden.
- Vårfrudagen, a Swedish name for “Our Lady’s Day” sounds (in Swedish) like Våffel-dagen (waffle day).
- Waffles are descended from the flat cakes baked in ancient Greece. These cakes were prepared with cheese and herbs and cooked between two metal plates.
- The waffles we know today first appeared in the Middle Ages.
- Thomas Jefferson’s Belgian cook brought one of the first waffle irons to the US.
Quote of the Day
“A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.” – Mitch Hedberg
The word “waffle” is from the Dutch, meaning “wafer”.
Eggo Waffles were first brought into supermarket freezer sections in 1953.
Parry Gripp created a song called “Do You Like Waffles” because of his love of waffles.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1775 Pecan Day. George Washington…
View original post 141 more words