National Milk Chocolate Day
Five Facts about Chocolate
- More than 50 percent of adults in the US prefer chocolate to any other flavor.
- Americans eat 2.8 billion pounds of candy annually. About half of it is chocolate.
- The word chocolate comes from “Xocolatl,” the Aztec word that means “bitter water.”
- Eating chocolate can help prevent tooth decay and works as an anti-bacterial agent.
- The Ivory Coast produces more cocoa than any country in the world which makes for 37 percent of it.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1586 The potato was introduced to England. It is claimed that Sir Thomas Harriot introduced potatoes to England on this day. (Some sources give December 3 as the date).
1852 Andrew Jackson Downing died. An American horticulturist, he was the author of ‘The Fruits and Fruit Trees of America’ (1845) and editor of the ‘Horticulturist’ periodical.
1866 The metric system was…
View original post 109 more words