More than a dozen tech companies, including Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Amazon and IBM, have joined forces to try to prevent another Heartbleed-like security breach.
Heartbleed is one of the biggest and widespread vulnerabilities in the history of the modern web. The problem stemmed from an errant line of code in the open-source project OpenSSL. About 66% of web servers rely on OpenSSL to encrypt data and keep things secure.
The bug in OpenSSL meant that the secret-encryption keys — which are what ensures that your passwords and other data are securely transmitted — could be stolen from a web server without anyone knowing. The bug existed in OpenSSL for more than two years before being publicly patched and announced.
The program, dubbed the Core Infrastructure Initiative, is an an offshoot of Linux Foundation and designed to “fund open source projects that are in the critical path for core computing functions,” according to a description on its website. The group will work with “an advisory board of esteemed open source developers to identify and fund open source projects in need.”
If the stigma surrounding Google Glass (or, perhaps more specifically, “Glassholes”) has taught us anything, it’s that no matter how revolutionary technology may be, ultimately its success or failure ride on public perception. Many promising technological developments have died because they were ahead of their times. During a cultural moment when the alleged arrogance of some tech companies is creating a serious image problem, the risk of pushing new tech on a public that isn’t ready could have real bottom-line consequences.
These findings, of course, can’t be taken as a sign that these industries are outright doomed. After all, if someone had told people 50 years ago that we’d all have tiny glass-and-metal boxes in our pockets that could take pictures, pinpoint our exact location anywhere in the world, and hold the contents of thousands of books all at the same time, it would have seemed impossible, if not downright scary. But the findings show that tech companies still have a lot of work to do to educate a public hardly willing to put blind trust in tech giants. Innovation can be a powerful force for positive change, but it goes down easier when the people whose lives will be affected feel like they have a say.
“TOKYO and MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., May 20 /PRNewswire/ — Sony Corporation (NYSE: SNE) and Google Inc. (Nasdaq: GOOG) today announced an alliance to provide a range of new and rich entertainment experiences that combine Google’s open-source Android OS platform with Sony’s expertise in technology and product design. The two companies are exploring the joint development of compelling new Android-based hardware products for the home, mobile and personal product categories.
“Through this alliance, Sony aims to leverage the stability, future growth potential and open-source accessibility of Google’s Android platform to further optimize its product development processes while also providing consumers with an open, expansive and evolving user experience.
“The alliance will enable Google to draw on Sony’s cutting-edge technologies, renowned engineering quality, groundbreaking design and diverse product and content portfolio to gain a comprehensive platform from which to drive the adoption of its Android OS across the CE industry.”
I’m just hoping we’ll see some of this stuff on PS gear.
Hi, I’d like to share a Google Maps link with you.
This email was sent to you by a user on Google Maps (maps.google.com)
“Adidas Japan has created this innovative blog widget which visualizes user created running routes using Google Street View. Joggers can plan their route on Google Maps and then view a movie of the route in Street View.”
“DULLES, Va., March 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — GeoEye, Inc. (Nasdaq: GEOY), a premier provider of satellite and aerial-based geospatial information, announced today it has started delivering high-resolution, color satellite imagery from its newest satellite to Google. The GeoEye-1 satellite images that are being highlighted by Google were all taken within the last 60 days and include images of the Pyramids of Giza, Mount Fuji, Sydney Australia, and many other recognizable locations. Examples of imagery can be seen at http://earth.google.com/geoeye/.”
Post from NewsGator.com:
Post from NewsGator.com:
- 11:08 Liked “For the ladies…First pictures of George Clooney‘s return to ER” ff.im/-1uF3Q #
- 11:11 Might’ve noticed, but not quite sure. It’s the first ep I ever watched all the way thru. Pretty good, tho. ^_^ re: ff.im/1usxn #
- 11:11 Liked “10 Annoying Habits of a Geeky Spouse | Geekdad from Wired.com” ff.im/-1uAZM #
- 11:42 “Swede William Thorson sits atop the leaderboard after the first of two Day Ones at the Pokerstars.com EPT… re: ff.im/1uIFm #
- 11:46 “A total of 358 players showed up for the second Day One at the PokerStars.com European Poker Tour Dortmund Main… re: ff.im/1uIUJ #
- 12:17 Come follow me on blippr! blippr.com/profiles/9233 #
- 12:18 I’m using blippr to find great apps, books, games, movies, and music. Come follow me! re: ff.im/1uLdM #
- 12:22 FriendFeed (blippr.com/b/afa6): It’s informative. #
- 12:25 Liked “FanSnap Live Event Search Exits Beta” ff.im/-1uGEG #
- 12:26 Liked “Global warming will save millions of lives” ff.im/-1uKZj #
- 12:26 Liked “NutshellMail: Twitter integration lets you do everything Twitter right from your inbox” ff.im/-1uKDF #
- 12:28 Liked “Get FriendFeed notifications on your desktop” ff.im/-1uITw #
- 12:28 Not bad, if you’re into that kind of thing. re: ff.im/1uITw #
- 12:57 Liked “Wikinomics» A potential framework for how different brands are using Twitter” ff.im/-1uO5r #
- 12:58 Liked “I gotz an eye on you « Loldogs, Dogs ‘n’ Puppy Dog Pictures – I Has A Hotdog!” ff.im/-1uMne #
- 12:58 Liked “Breaking News – « Lolcats ‘n’ Funny Pictures of Cats – I Can Has Cheezburger?” ff.im/-1uMkP #
- 13:07 #lastfm #love Black Suits Comin’ (Nod Ya Head) [Album Version] by Will Smith bit.ly/232Fa #
- 13:10 #lastfm #love Arrival to Earth (Album Version) by Steve Jablonsky bit.ly/xptf #
- 13:19 #lastfm #love Almost Home by Craig Morgan bit.ly/14cZDj #
- 13:27 #lastfm #love Prologue by John Williams bit.ly/177cS #
- 13:40 Firefly – The Complete Series (blippr.com/b/afb5): Your opinion of this movie in 160 characters or less #
- 14:00 Liked “Google Voice #web” ff.im/-1tr8i #
- 14:08 RT @retweetradar: Trends: jim cramer, how to find a job and real time are the top retweeted terms on www.retweetradar.com/ right now. #
- 14:09 RT @abramsandbettes: Bettes just got back! said he had lots of fun! we’ll talk more about it on the show. #
- 14:09 RT @Grundy: Check out my two favorite poker bloggers of the month: @Gobbs and @SteveBrogan #followfriday #
- 14:10 RT @Zelo: | #Nintendo #Wii | Nintendo World Store – Pokemon Platinum launch event flyer:
Thanks to Sean.. bit.ly/1DZcIC #
- 14:16 @louisgray The heck if I know. ^_^ socialtoo.com/survey/view/2099 #
- 14:16 RT @Jesse: FeedBurner‘s such an easy choice! socialtoo.com/survey/view/2099 #
- 14:18 RT @fireeagle: CNET: “Yahoo counters Google Latitude: Friends on Fire” tinyurl.com/awbo23 #
- 14:19 RT @sportsviews: Latest Buzz: College Football’s Postseason Need Not Emulate March Madness is.gd/neFK #
- 14:20 RT @dollars5: High-Quality Unboxing Photos of Apple’s Third-Gen Shuffle at AppleInsider: is.gd/n64W #
- 14:21 @abramsandbettes Saw the promo. Wish I saw the actual deal 😦 #
- 14:22 RT @abramsandbettes: Bettes was live from a wind tunnel last night. It was super cool #
- 14:23 RT @Paula_Deen: Packing for QVC. Don’t forget, Saturday night at 11PM. Sunday starting at 7AM, then noon, then 4, then 6, then home. Whew! #
- 14:26 Liked “Tank ****ers” ff.im/-1uTQN #
- 14:26 Ha-ha! re: ff.im/1uTQN #
- 14:27 Liked “Ctrl+Alt+Del – Customer is not always right” ff.im/-1uTSk #
- 14:28 Liked “Matthew and Sarah say bye to their dad as he sits in the San Jose Airport before SXSW.” [pic] ff.im/-1uOv3 #
- 23:06 Liked “Helmet Art” ff.im/-1vmh5 #
- 23:07 Liked “Fishing Hut In Antarctic” ff.im/-1vkH3 #
- 23:07 Liked “LEGO Mandalorian Armor! | Geekdad from Wired.com” ff.im/-1vkAO #
- 01:16 “Might be useful for geotagging purposes.” re: ff.im/1vrW6 #
- 01:36 Check this comment out bit.ly/IbHsH #
- 01:54 Liked “louisgray.com: Day Zero of SXSW Interactive In the Books. Full Panel Schedule Ahead.” ff.im/-1vsHj #
- 01:57 just finished reading A Clash of Kings (A Song of… tinyurl.com/br6rfe #
Automatically shipped by LoudTwitter
Post from NewsGator.com:
- Rock Band: R.E.M., Richard Thompson and The Offspring
- Show #311 : The Mini Unscheduled Show
- NCAA Basketball 09: March Madness Edition
- Guitar Hero World Tour: Bob Seger
- Guitar Hero World Tour: Rise Against